As the weather warms up and summer approaches, the DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) will extend the operating hours of recreation centers across the District.
DC Mayor Muriel Bowser (D) announced these updates and said the extension of hours will provide an importance space for the District’s youth on evenings and weekends.
“By expanding hours at our recreation centers, we are creating more recreation opportunities for residents of all ages and creating more safe and engaging opportunities for our young people in the evenings and during the weekend,” said Bowser.
Hours will be extended on week days and weekends. The centers will be open Monday through Friday 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Saturday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Beginning Monday, March 27, eight locations will adopt the new schedule including:
- Columbia Heights Community Center (1480 Girard Street NW)
- Emery Heights Community Center (5701 Georgia Avenue NW)
- Turkey Thicket Recreation Center (1100 Michigan Avenue NE)
- Edgewood Recreation Center (301 Franklin Street NE)
- Deanwood Community Center (1350 49th Street NE)
- Kenilworth Recreation Center (4321 Ord Street NE)
- Rosedale Recreation Center (1701 Gales Street NE)
- Barry Farm Recreation Center (1230 Sumner Road SE)
The District plans to extend the hours of 37 additional facilities in April.
Sarah Payne is a reporter for Capital Community News. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.